Wednesday 18 March 2015

Man Arrested At Lagos Airport With Indian Hemp Stuffed In Gala (photos)

The National Drug Law Enforcement
Agency have arrested a man smuggling
35.115 kilogramme of Cannabis sativa
hidden inside sausage rolls to China.
Friday Ogbonna, 33, was arrested at the
Murtala Mohammed International Airport,
Lagos, during a screening of passengers
on their way to China, the anti-
narcotics agency said in a statement
Wednesday.
In addition to Mr. Ogbonna, the agency
also arrested David Famolu, 34, and Joy
Osamunyi, 26, on their way to Dubai
with 4kg and 19.640kg of cannabis
respectively.
Ahmadu Giade, NDLEA’s Chairman, said
the arrests were made following
intelligence reports and intense covert
operations by the agency.
“It is pertinent to alert members of the
public of fresh plot by drug barons to
smuggle cannabis to countries with
capital punishment for drug trafficking
because of the high profit involved,”
said Mr. Giade.
“Drug barons are wicked and callous.
They are only interested in making
money even at the risk of others
sacrificing their precious lives.”
THE SUSPECTS
According to the agency, Mr. Ogbonna
told investigators that he was given
N100, 000 to smuggle the drugs to
China.
“My friend in China gave me N100,
000 to take a bag to China. The last
time I travelled to China, he assisted
me,” said Mr. Ogbonna, a trader at the
Onitsha main market.
“When he gave me the money to take
the bag containing gala to China, I
thought he was doing me a favour I
never knew he was digging my grave.
After my arrest, I feel bad and regret
my action. I am married with a child.”
Mr. Famolu, a laptop dealer in Lagos,
said he was introduced into the
smuggling business by a friend.
“I bought the cannabis myself for N44,
000. I was introduced into drug
trafficking by a friend who assisted me
with my travel documents,” Mr. Famolu
said.
“He told me that if I can bring 4kg of
cannabis to Dubai that he will pay me
half a million naira. That was what
encouraged me to take the risk. I
blame myself because I should have
listened to my conscience.”
Ms. Osamunyi told investigators that she
was unaware her bags contained illegal
drugs.
“I lost my parents and I sell shoes and
female clothes and bags to earn a
living,” said Ms. Osamunyi, who hails
from Benin, Edo State.
“My friend in Dubai told me that
somebody will give me foodstuff to
take to him. That was how I collected
the bags from the person she sent to
me.
“I still find it difficult (to believe) that
this will happen to me but I have learnt
a bitter and painful lesson in my life.”
Mr. Giade said that the NDLEA had
foiled several attempts by drug barons
to smuggle cannabis in foodstuff outside
the country.
While calling on people to resist the
antics of drug barons, the NDLEA boss
promised to adopt measures aimed at
increasing the effectiveness of drug
eradication efforts. Such measures include
timely detection of drugs and exposure
of modes of operation by drug
syndicates.
The suspects will soon be charged to
court, according to the agency.......

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-
news/178722-man-arrested-at-lagos-airport-
with-indian-hemp-stuffed-in-gala.html
Pix
**Ogbonna Friday Ogbu with the drugs
Friday
**Famolu’s bag showing the drugs
**Osamuyi Joy Omus during arrest

No comments:

Post a Comment